Monday 23 January 2012

The Topsham Bookshop

I have not visited this secondhand bookshop for nearly a decade but my happy memories of it are as strong today as they were in my hazy university days at Exeter.

After a quick search online, I am pleased to report that this bookshop is still standing, trading as The Topsham Bookshop http://www.topshambookshop.co.uk/. Back in the day, when a litre of petrol was less than 79p, it was known as 'Joel Segal Books'. The shop's online presence rolled back the years and drowned me in a flood of nostalgia, making me long for the times when I visited this gem of a bookshop. The only thing that was missing was the comforting, familiar smell of secondhand books.

As the content of the website is excellent, I will simply direct you to the floor page of the site to give an idea of their stock www.topshambookshop.co.uk/p/floors.html. I would recommend a browse of their paperbacks on the top floor front room. Visiting this shop used to make a great change from visiting the functional Blackwells on campus and saved quite a few pennies, even factoring the price of the petrol getting there. If you're in the area, this shop is worth a visit even for the browsing experience. An intended 30 minute visit can easily transform into hours. If you live further away or are planning at visit, at least try and have an online browse of this superb independent shop.

The Topsham Bookshop
27 Fore Street
Topsham
Exeter
Devon
EX3 0HD
Tel: 01392 877895

http://www.topshambookshop.co.uk/

Secondhand & out-of-print bookshop: paperback, hardback, modern, antiquarian.

Open 10.30am-5.00pm,Monday-Saturday(closed for lunch 1-2pm).

Image from: http://www.topshambookshop.co.uk/p/floors.html

No comments:

Post a Comment